Rights & Responsbilities - PATIENT'S RIGHTS
- Patients have a right to receive treatment irrespective of their type of primary and
associated illnesses, socio-economic status, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, caste,
cultural preferences, linguistic and geographical origins or political affiliations.
- Expectation from the doctor to write the prescription legibly and explain to the patient on
the details on dosage, dos & don'ts & generic options for the medicines.
- They have to be provided with information and access on whom to contact in case of an
Confidentiality and dignity
- Right to personal dignity and to receive care without any form of stigma and discrimination.
- Privacy during examination and treatment and protection from physical abuse and neglect.
- Accommodating and respecting their special needs such as spiritual and cultural
- Right to confidentiality about their medical condition.
- Patients and/ or their family members have the right to receive complete information on the
medical problem, prescription, treatment & procedure details.
- A documented procedure for obtaining patient's and / or their family's informed consent
exists to enable them to make an informed decision about their care. This process is an
important patient right and needs to practice with utmost diligence and transparency.
- Patients have to be educated on risks, benefits, expected treatment outcomes and possible
complications to enable them to make informed decisions, and involve them in the care
planning and delivery process.
- Patients have the right to request information on the names, dosages and adverse effects of
the medication that they are treated with.
- Patients or their authorized individuals have the right to request access and receive a copy
of their clinical records.
- Patients have the right to complete information on the expected cost of treatment.
- Patient has the right to get complete information about triage before treatment.
- Patients have the right to information on hospital rules and regulations.
- Information on organ donation.
- Patient has the right to a seek a second opinion on his/her medical condition.
- Right to information from the doctor to provide the patient with treatment options, so that
the patient can select what works best for him/her.
- Patient has the right to know about the identity of the attending doctors, nurses and other
- Patient and family has a right to refuse the treatment.
Right to Redress
- Patient has the right to justice by lodging a complaint through an authority dedicated for this
purpose by the healthcare provider organization or with government health authorities.
- The patient has the right to a fair and prompts hearing of his/her concern.
- I will be honest with my doctor & disclose my family/ medical history.
- TREATMENT COMPLIANCE
I will be punctual for my appointment and my best to comply with my doctor's treatment
- I will have realistic expectations from my doctor and his treatment.
- Inform and bring to the doctor's notice if it has been difficult to understand any part of the
treatment or of the existences of challenges in complying with the treatment.
- I will display intent to participate intelligently in my medical care by actively involving myself
in the prescribed do-at-home activities.
- INTENT FOR HEALTH PROMOTION
I will do everything in my capacity to maintain healthy habits & routines that contribute to
good health, and take responsibility for my health.
- TRANSPARENCY AND HONESTY
- I will make a sincere effort to understand my therapies which include the medicines
prescribed and their associated adverse effects and other compliances for effective
- I will not ask for surreptitious bills and false certificates, and/or advocate forcefully by
unlawful means to provide me with one.
- If I am not happy, I will inform and discuss with my doctor.
- I will report fraud and wrong-doing.
I will be respecting the doctors and medical staff caring and treating me.
- I will abide by the hospital / facility rules.
- I will bear the agreed expenses of the treatment that is explained to me in advance and pay
my bills on time.